Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Update on Cooper!

 This is Cooper today at the DSAG picnic in the park celebrating World Down Sydrome Day-look how good and healthy he looks....beautiful! (and he just got a hair cut)

 This is him a couple of days after we got home from the hospital. His stomach is still a little bloated here. I wish that was flab...but it is gas/air. When he wakes up in the morning his stomach is completely flat, almost concave.
 Trying out our new adidas...He wasn't quite sure of it, but tolerates standing for small time increments.
Finally had a bath with NO tears. He hasn't quite got the "it's fun" attitude, but no shivering, shaking, screaming, so he is making progress in that area.


Cooper is doing tremendous. He is now so mobile that we have had to go to Home Depot and buy gates to gate everything off. He can navigate the entire upstairs with zero help. He knows when it is time to eat and scoots to his chair. He is hilarious. He is sleeping about 10 hours a night with a 2 hour nap during the day, so he is getting plenty of rest. He is still eating pureed foods with thickened liquids, but so far has not refused anything. He now weighs about 20 pounds, so he has gained 6 pounds since coming home. He is off all the tummy bug meds and we will have him rechecked to make sure that his belly is ok. He is now just on Synthroid for his low thyroid and he is changing every.single.day. He is quite vocal and his laugh is this rip roaring loud "HA-HA". It doesn't even sound real and it is hysterical. He doesn't yet play with the other boys, but he is much more interested in what they are doing. He likes to be near them, but not right with them. Caden is getting better with him, too. He no longer cries when we hold Cooper and he is back to feeding himself. He still doesn't quite like the idea of us holding/rocking him and he climbs up on your lap with him and you end up holding/rocking both, which is totally fine by me.

I never dreamed that adding one more (especially one that is so easy to care for) would be so exhausting, but it has literally kicked my butt. I have never been this tired in my life. I have to make myself bathe, brush my own teeth, etc. because by the time that I bathe/brush 3 sets of teeth, I am usually done and just want to fall in the bed. This past week seems a lot better. I have slept every night and I feel a lot better. I hope we are getting into more of a routine now that we have most of our medical stuff taken care of. Oh yeah, Cooper will have eye surgery sometime in May to realign the muscles in his eyes to help him be able to control his eye muscles better. Other than than, everything is going really well. He seems like he has been here forever. I am getting use to having a "baby". I have only forgot the diaper bag and extra set of clothes once and I learned my lesson the hard way and I can guarantee you that I won't forget that anytime soon!

11 comments:

  1. He is beautiful! Love seeing this sweet boy home where he belongs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looks really good. It's so good to see him healthy and ready to move to the next thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! What an amazing difference!! He looks great! And I'm so glad you are getting a routine down!! Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's doing so great!! amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He looks like a different child already!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He looks great!!! So happy to see you guys are doing well and getting a routine down!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be still my heart! Oh, how I love that boy... So glad he's doing well and praying for devine energy and strength for his mamma :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. He looks amazing!!! He will always hold a special place in my heart. He has been near the sweet boy that I will never get to bring home and think of often. Watching Cooper do so amazing with his awesome family heals my heart in a small way. Thank You for allowing me to follow your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So, how are things going? How is Cooper's tummy doing?

    ReplyDelete