Friday, August 20, 2010

Day 4

Day 4 went much, much better than day 3. We got up at 7 am and were showered and out the door at 830 to meet our driver outside. He was a different guy from the day before, but smelled the same. Actually, he was very nice and stopped at a little store for us to get some snacks and drinks to take to the orphange with us.

No one met us at the orphanage, so we were on our own. We walked in and everyone started speaking in Russian/Ukrainian to us. Not one person there understood any English. GREAT!!! I found Anton's groupa and I just kept saying his name over and over again until they brought him to me. He was smiling and happy as could be. They make them switch their shoes to go outside and put a hat on. The caregiver was a were a little rough with him, screaming at him over and over, to what I am assuming was to change his shoes. He did it, though. He went to his locker, got out his outside shoes, sat on a little bench, took off his inside shoes, put on the other shoes, and then put his inside shoes in his locker. Pretty smart, huh? Then we tried to get David. I couldn't understand them and they couldn't understand me, I just kept saying "David, David, David" over and over again. They kept trying to make up go outside with Anton and Anton was already down one flight of steps to get the heck out of there. I finally called our translator and handed them the phone and two minutes later, there was David dressed in girl clothes with a flowerdy hat on! Very cute, but we will have to change his look a little. I brought both of them a black Nike hat to trade in for the girl hats. The whole I was standing there waiting on David, there was about 6 little guys (2 and 3 year olds) staring at us, two of them screaming and crying. One of the little boys was screaming, "Mommmy and Poppy". The caregiver even said he wants a momma and poppa and tried to give him to me. It was awful.

We went outside and played a little. We found strollers and thought we would push them around a little and just walk. The mean lady from the groupa saw Anton in a stroller and ran over and snatched him out. She was not happy that I would let him sit in a stroller when he can walk, so we let Anton push David around for a little while. I brought bananas, animal crackers, and grape juice for them. They loved it. David only has 4 teeth, but can eat if you break it up for him. Neither one knew how to suck on the straw to get the juice, but knew that they liked it and kept coming back for more.

Our visit lasted about 1 1/2 hours and then we left to go pick up our translator and the Inspector to do more paperwork. Anton did not want us to leave and tried very hard to go with us. David could have cared less if we left or not. We went to the notary, done some more paperwork, exchanged some money, then came back to the apartment. I did some laundry (very funny-hung out on a pulley clothesline like in the movies from my window) and we took a nap. We got up and decided we would go explore a bit. We hit pay dirt! We found a nice little restaraunt that had a nice patio. We ordered grilled chicken, grilled pork chops, french fries, and fresh cucumbers and tomatoes plus coffee and coke. It was fabulous and it was only $16 American money! WOO-HOO!

Anyway, we finally have internet, got to Skpye Danielle and Cody and see my little Moochy on video. We are just chilling out and waiting til tomorrow to go for another visit.

Monday and Tuesday are a holiday here, so we can't go to our SDA appointment until Wednesday of next week to get our referral for David. I am very thankful that they are letting us see him and spend time with him without our official paperwork. I am also very thankful for the weather. It has been great today. Only about 80 degrees with winds blowing and you don't feel like you are going to die when you take a breath in.

Will try to update with pictures tomorrow! (promise)

Stephanie

5 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you all. Can't wait to see pictures. Did you happen to see Lydiah? Think they spell it Lilia. She might be in a different group since she is one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All those places and experiences sure do sound familar! Sevastopol is an awesome city. Can't wait to see pics of the boys. Praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We haven't seen one other baby/child with DS, but we know they are there! I hear the weekend staff are a little easier to get along with so we are going to look real hard for the other angels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Victoria and Amanda said she was the only girl there with Ds.
    Hope all goes well today for you all !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so exciting! I can't believe you're there! I love reading your blog. You make me laugh. I hope you get a chance to see Liam. I know his name there is Egor. I'm glad you found good places to eat. You'll have to tell us where they are. Keep writing! Blessings :)

    Hansina

    ReplyDelete