Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Day # 5-People First Language

I am probably going to get a lot of slack from this, but here goes....

I am not sure I totally agree with the EMOTIONS behind the people first language. Of course, I want my children referred to in the most positive way possible, but am I going to get fighting mad when someone refers to them as a "Down's child" or "Down syndrome kid"? No, I do not get mad. I do sometimes, depending on the situation, say "well, really, he is just a regular kid...who happens to have Down syndrome." But that is about as far as I go. I don't want to protest or educate the world because it just does not matter that much to me. I have bigger fish to fry than to make sure that everyone is saying everything just so so. Now, if the "R" word or something like that comes up, yes I get offended and YES I LET THEM KNOW, but most people (or at least the people I associate with) have never heard of people first language and have no idea that what they are saying would offend someone. Yes, I know some of you are saying "well, educate them", but I don't know if I am willing to start a discussion over something I think is a minimal problem when I would rather address things like the "R" word...Make sense??? But anyway, did want to point out that People First Language does exist and many people feel very strongly about it and we should all ATTEMPT to use it to keep from offending others (my good deed of the day-lol)!

On a happier note, I am going to Nashville in the morning for fingerprints and I have been in touch with my congressman's office and they say I should expect the golden ticket in 7-10 days. I will believe that when I see it!

1 comment:

  1. I hear this a lot, too. And I have to agree with everything you wrote in this post.

    ReplyDelete